- Born February 9, 1944 in Eatonton, GA, which is a farming community in Middle Georgia.
- Has written 5 novels, 4 books of essays and 5 poetry books (one being a collected work of poems.) The most famous of her books is of course The Color Purple which was nominated for a National Book Critics' Award, and won a American Book Award.
- Was the first African-American ever to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
- She currently lives in Mendocino, California with her dog Marley. Her most recent book is By the Light of My Father's Smile
- that Alice Walker and her ex-husband Melvyn Leventhal were the legally married interracial couple to live in the state of Mississippi?
- that Alice Walker created and taught the class in the country dedicated to African-American Women Writers at Wellesley College?
- that Alice Walker was the first African-American ever to win the Pulitzer Prize for fiction?
- that Alice Walker was the first African-American to win the Pulitzer Prize for in fiction in 1983...but what else has she won? You might not have known that Ms. Walker won...
- A Prize from for her essay,
- Lillian Smith Award from the Southern Regional Council for her book of poetry Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Award from the American Institute of Arts and Letters for her collection of short stories called In Love and In Trouble: Stories of Black Women.
- An American Book Award for
- She's also has been awarded some major fellowships...and grants. The most significant of them was...
A Grant from the Gugenheim Foundation!